I didn’t start this blog that long ago, however I feel like, for those who may be thinking about setting up a blog (whatever the subject may be), it would be useful for them to get some ‘top tips’. I also thought that I could share some insight and expand on why people start blogs (generic points), did I adhere to the generic points stated, why did I start this blog, etc. etc.
Starting a blog; 10 reasons
- To create a “voice” – somewhere you can express your thoughts and opinions with like-minded people. This is an obvious reason to set up a blog, but it’s probably also one of the best reasons, because if you start a blog about something you have an interest and passion in it will spur you on to continue the blog and keep up with daily/weekly (whatever you decided) posts!
- To market or promote something – blogs are a great way to market yourself, a product, business or even a service.
- To help people – informative blog posts may help people to learn new things, for example a post which I published “Marketing Your Posts” which aims to help others market their posts effectively.
- To establish yourself – blogs are a useful platform for bloggers to launch themselves and get themselves established in the field or topic in which they’re blogging about; blogging helps you get noticed by more and more people!
- To connect – blogs allow you to connect to other social media platforms, i.e. posting your blog posts onto Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc. immediately after you’ve published them. Blogs also allow you to interact with like-minded people, exchanging comments, sharing opinions and also enabling you to follow people with similar blogs for inspiration.
- To make a difference – many blogs involve posts discussing issues, this means the blogger could be trying to sway their viewers into thinking a certain way. However, blogging isn’t just about making people think the same as you, it’s all about sharing each others ideas because two heads are better than one..right?
- To stay active or knowledgeable in a field or topic – since the key to a successful blog is blogging frequently, interacting with your viewers and providing up to date (and knowledgeable) information, it’s a perfect way for bloggers to stay up to date in their field and up to date with events which may be happening in the specific field or topic. It enables the bloggers knowledge to continue expanding, and so will be able to give their viewers more insight into the topic!
- Stay connected with family and friends – the internet is an ever growing place, so blogs allow you to share pictures, stories etc. with family and friends which you may not see often. Blogs are a great tool to keep you connected with others.
- To make money – although not a lot of bloggers make a lot of money out of blogging it is a possibility. However, one of the keys to ensuring your blog will become successful is making sure that you’re passionate about the field or topic you decide to blog about; if you’re not motivated to write a blog post, and it becomes a chore, then why are you doing it? Through practice and patience it’s possible to make money from blogging via. advertising and activities on your blog which generate incomes, i.e. widgets which allow people to donate to your blog or a store,i.e if you’re running a fashion blog and want to create your own brand (or something like that).
- Finally and most importantly – Be creative and have fun with blogging – if you don’t enjoy the topic you’re blogging about, find something else..blogging should be something you enjoy, something you look forward to doing; it shouldn’t be like work!!!
When I began my blog I seriously didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I do, but media is something which I am really passionate about and so enjoy blogging about it.
However, no matter how passionate you are it can still (sometimes) be tricky to come up with something that hasn’t been done before, something original that will captivate people.
I try my best to create original content, content which can be re-used and people will find useful! I really like how my blog has become a sort of social media “hub” for me, as I have all of my social networks connected/linked to my blog.
I am aware of how long this blog post has become so I will answer “why did I start my blog” in a separate post, if you’d like? (let me know in the comments). Although, I have an “about” page which tells you briefly about me and my blog, so check that out!!
Let me know what you think about this blog post in the comments section below. I would also like to know, in the comments, what you did to start your blog off; how did you market your blog? Why did you start your blog? etc. Alternatively, you could create a blog post in response and ping me, I’d love to read those.
I look forward to all of your comments and interacting with you.